What React Router is
React Router helps you organise your applications based on (nested) URLs.
This offers many advantages:
- Explicit views declarations: instantly understand what are your app views
- Restore any view + state with a simple URL (deep-linking)
- Nested views: react-router handle nested views and their progressive resolution
- History: User can navigate backward/forward and restore state
- Views transitions: automatic CSS transitions when navigating
- Standardized app structure and behaviour, useful when working in a team
By organising your code in such a standard way, it helps you keep a sane codebase, where your views are truly independant from the context.
You can find a few useful react-router example apps on the official react-router repo.
What React Router isn't
React router doesnt handle data-fetching, you have to use async-props or other classical React data fetching mechanism.